1 August 2006
Finger lickin’ good
(with apologies to my veggie and vegan readers…)
Here’s a recipe for a wonderful weekday treat. For the full effect, it MUST be a weekday. Roast chicken on a Sunday is all very well, but trust me, there’s something a little bit decadent about enjoying a meal like this on a school night. (You can tell we have no kids, can’t you?)
- Take a plump, organic, locally farmed, free range chicken. Stuff it with handfulls of herbs from the garden, a few cloves of allotment garlic and a home-grown onion. Smear with oil and cover with crushed peppercorns. Put in the oven on a low heat.
- Head down to the allotment and spend 45 minutes pulling up weeds in the rain. Feel damp but smug and virtuous as you return home.
- Remove muddy boots at the door.
- I SAID TAKE YOUR BLOODY BOOTS OFF!
- Prepare vegetables, including yummy roast courgettes (did I mention I finally managed to grow courgettes this year? I did? Are you sure?) and a range of three different types of potato.
- Remove chicken from oven and admire while drooling. Take photos for blog (optional extra).
- Serve with a glass of chilled white wine or a bottle of fine ale.
- Save the washing up for tomorrow.